The entire region is commonly referred to in English simply as Kosovo and in Albanian as Kosova. In Serbia, a formal distinction is made between the eastern and western areas; the term Kosovo is used for the eastern part centred on the historical Kosovo Field, while the western part is called Metohija.
Kosovo is the Serbian neuter possessive adjective of kos “blackbird”, an ellipsis for Kosovo Polje, ‘blackbird field’, the name of a plain situated in the eastern half of today’s Kosovo and the site of the 1389 Battle of Kosovo Field.The name of the plain was applied to the Kosovo Province created in 1864.
The official conventional long name of the state is the Republic of Kosovo as defined by the Constitution of Kosovo and is used to represent Kosovo internationally. Additionally as a result of an arrangement agreed between Pristina and Belgrade in talks mediated by the European Union, Kosovo has participated in some international forums and organisations under the title “Kosovo*” with a footnote stating “This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSC 1244 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence”. This arrangement, which has been dubbed the “asterisk agreement” was agreed in an 11-point arrangement agreed on 24 February 2012.
The current borders of Kosovo were drawn while part of SFR Yugoslavia in 1946, when the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija was created as an administrative division of the new Socialist Republic of Serbia. In 1974, the compositional “Kosovo and Metohija” was reduced to a simple “Kosovo” in the name of the Socialist Autonomous Province of Kosovo, but in 1990 the region was renamed the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija (Autonomna Pokrajina Kosovo i Metohija). By the independence declaration in 2008, its conventional long name became “Republic of Kosovo”
The Gračanica Monastery is a monastery belonging to the Serbian Orthodox Church, located in the village of Gračanica in the municipality of Pristina, Kosovo. It was founded by King Milutin of Serbia Stefano in 1321.On 13 July 2006 it was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as an extension of the Monastery of Dečani.The monastery of Gracanica is one of the last buildings of King Milutin. It is located 5 km from Pristina, homonymous Serb enclave.
The Patriarchate of Peć is a monastery belonging to the Serbian Orthodox Church located near Pec, in Kosovo. The complex of churches is the spiritual seat and mausoleum archbishops and patriarchs Serbs.On 31 July 2006 was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site as an extension of the Monastery of Dečani, already included in the list two years earlier.
Visoki Decani monastery is a large Serbian Orthodox Church in Kosovo, 12 kilometers south of the town of Peć. Its the largest medieval church in the Balkans and contains the largest Byzantine fresco that has been preserved until today. The monastery was founded by King Stephen Decanski Serbia in 1327.